The Harvest of the Month Featured Produce is Tomatoes!
In season June, July and August
- Low Fat
- Low Sodium Content
- Cholesterol Free
- High in Vitamins A and C
- Good Source of Potassium
- Tomatoes were thought to be poisonous until the nineteenth century.
- Although, commonly mistaken as a vegetable, tomatoes are in fact a fruit.
- Choose tomatoes that have a bright shiny skin and firm flesh
- Store tomatoes away from direct sunlight at room temperatures
- Use tomatoes within one week after they ripen.
- Tomatoes taste best when they haven’t been refrigerated.
Source: Fruit and Veggies Matter More - http://www.fruitsandveggiesmorematters.org/