About Public Helath Preparedness & Response
Albemarle Regional Health Services (ARHS) is a district public health agency serving the counties of Bertie, Camden, Chowan, Currituck, Gates, Pasquotank and Perquimans. Through our Public Health Preparedness & Response (PHP&R) program, we aim to work with our communities to keep everyone safe and prepared for any disaster, along with local emergency management partners and response agencies.
An Overview of Public Health Preparedness & Response
Public Health has always been involved in the health and safety of our communities. However, following the terrorist attacks of 2001, the Federal Government determined a higher level involvement of Public Health in response efforts was necessary to ensure the public’s health.
At that time funds were set aside to enhance the national Public Health Preparedness & Response system. The primary focus of the ARHS Preparedness & Response System is as follows:
- Support Emergency Management and other response partners in disaster events, including natural disasters
- Coordinate Strategic National Stockpile Planning and Response efforts
- Coordinate the response to communicable disease outbreaks, epidemics, and pandemic events
- Coordinate Pandemic Influenza Planning and Response efforts
- Work to ensure the safety of Public Health staff through proper training and implementation of safety precautions
- Provide Public Education and guidance during various situations and events
In order to enhance the regional response efforts, ARHS, in conjunction with Albemarle Hospital, Vidant Bertie Hospital, Vidant Chowan Hospital, USCG Elizabeth City, NC, Local Emergency Management, and other response partners, the Albemarle Health & Safety Coalition has been established to coordinate planning and response efforts. This Coalition is comprised of Committees, specifically the Regional Preparedness Committee and the Public Information a nd Communication Committee (now known as the Northeast North Carolina Public Information Committee).